Friday, April 2, 2010

The Gibson

2009 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20003
(202) 232-2156
www.thegibsondc.com

Visited:
March 2010




So here's the scoop, on how our rag-tag motley crew of misfits ended up at the Gibson this past Saturday night...it all started with ball crushin' fun over a week ago during a falafel UYE lunch with a few Yelp-a-roni's. While I had my audience of seasoned Yelpers before me, I asked (like the high school freshman asking the cool senior jocks how to score with the cheerleaders) the gals and gentlemen about finding the "right" lounge. Lemme 'splain it to you...

Ever since my trip to Sydney, Australia I have been thinking about this magnificent "speak easy"-eque pub my buddy took us to on our last night in Kangaroo land. The place was called the Victoria Room (http://www.thevictoriaroom.com/) and was so chill and mellow with an ambiance and decor that made you think you were in some 1930's pub. The bartenders we skilled mixologists blending your choice of beverages with your mood and carefully making sure to leave out anything you told 'em that didn't enjoy or feel like having. The result was an amazing drink in a place that just made it even more enjoyable.

At the UYE event the two Bens (Ben M and 2nd Ben) were kind enough to humor me and suggested that the wife and I visit the Gibson. I had read some reviews after searching for Lounges on Yelp (Mike T would be proud) and had come across the Gibson but wanted some info from the folks that knew DC the best; my fellow Yelpers. Both Bens had great things to say about the Gibson moving it to the top of my mental list of "to visit" Lounges.

Fast forward a week later when the wife and I were deciding what to do or where to go on our once-a-month date night after securing the sitters for the entire night. I suggested we hit the Gibson after starting out at another place for dinner and drinks as I was dying to see this place for myself. I managed to get Steve L, Jarrett B and a few other friends to join us for our inaugural outing to the Gibson.

We arrived there close to 10pm and managed to find the entrance after walking past it only once. We hit the buzzer (not sure if it actually worked) and opened the door. A kind young lady greeted us and asked us how many where in our party. I responded with "6 people please" and put our name and my phone number on the list. In the meantime, my wife headed upstairs to say hello to two other friends already enjoying some tasty beverages at the Gibson's 2nd floor.

By the time she came downstairs and after some magical changes, we were all admitted to the lower bar. As soon as we all walked into the lower bar area, I was amazed at the dark and comforting lighting as well as the relatively laid back feel to the Gibson. We were seated at a large booth and all six of us began scoping out the list of many drinks.

Everyone reviewed the drink menus with eagle eyes, too many drink choices to really rush into a quick decision as we all pondered what we wanted to have as our first drinks. I ordered a Sherry Cobbler and wasn't sure what everyone else ordered. Our waitress was truly cheerful and happy and I could tell that she enjoyed her job as she chatted with us and helped our crowd decide on some drinks.

The drinks arrived and we all were amazed. Awesome drinks and we continued to laugh and enjoy some great conversation while sipping our tasty concoctions. Although the drinks were a bit pricey, they were completely worth the price due to the experience of being at such a cool place. A few minutes later I headed upstairs to say hello to our friends and was impressed at the layout of the 2nd floor; the Gibson 2nd floor was more of a living room like layout (away for the bar) with couches and rooms that looked even more inviting.

Note to self, make a reservation next time and request a place on the 2nd floor....

Heading back downstairs after talking to my friends, we all ordered our 2nd round and I decided to add some fun to it. I let my wife order my 2nd drink and told her to "surprise me". She ordered a frothy citrusy drink with a nice bite which I enjoyed in between laughs. At this time we had pushed a member of our group to talk to a girl at the bar and we were proudly watching him successfully strike up a conversation with two ladies.

It was soon time for our last round and I ordered a Martinez for myself and for one of my friends from upstairs who had now joined us. By the time we finished our 3rd round we were ready to head home, catch the last metro train home and call it a night...

Our first trip to the Gibson was truly memorable one that we would have to repeat very soon. I totally enjoyed everything about the Gibson except the waiting. Had it not been for our magical moment, we probably would have waited a full hour before being admitted inside. This is the only reason I can't give the Gibson a full 5-star rating....being outside of New York City I find it hard to wait more than 5 minutes to get into any pub...call it my crazy personal preference.

But I will be back, that's a promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment