Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dickson Wine Bar

903 U St NW
Washington, DC 20001
(202) 332-1779
www.facebook.com/DicksonWine

Visited:
May 15, 2010




What else to say but coooooooooooool. In fact, it seemed too cool for a geeky guy like me, but thankfully I was in the midst of some great company; namely the boss lady, the wonderful G to the K and some Russian mobster goon. :-)

Not knowing how "it" works, I had to follow the lead of our gracious friends who talked to the hostess, put down a reservation for four, gave their cell phone number and then walked back down the steps. We headed down the street to The Saloon for some brews to wait for our reservation to come up.

After a few drinks and many laughs the V-man's phone rang. It was the Dickson Wine Bar (DWB). Time to act cool, wipe the sweat off the brow and head back up the street. I was excited to see what was inside this dark mysterious building, my inner enthusiasm barely masked by my calm exterior. "Stay cool Snoopy, stay cool Daddy-O. Don't act dorky in front of your friends and the wife" I told myself.

We walked up the large concrete steps that lead to the entrance of the DWB and I was impressed. The interior decor screamed, "I am a wine bar ya punk ass b*tch and don't even THINK of ordering a beer!". The walls were creatively covered in numerous bottles the design of which was augmented by the cool lighting and shadows. The place was nice, damn nice...

Our table was upstairs and we left the main bar by heading up some narrow steps. From the new vantage point we looked down on the first floor patrons high atop our 2nd floor table. The decorations were even more noticeable from this top floor and the people below seemed immune to the fact that our little group sat in the shadows looking upon...observing them almost in secret.

The server brought us menus and we scanned the card trying to decide on some wine. Being a wine connoisseur, I delegated the wine ordering duty to the boss lady who ordered a generous glass of red (I don't remember the name). Our friends ordered a glass of red and a mixed drink who's actual ingredients I had no idea (yes, I am so useless).

The drinks arrived, each one in some very cool looking glasses. We sipped our wine, chatted and enjoyed the evening as best we could. The table we sat at didn't allow for great conversation as we all sat in a single line which along with the acoustics of the place made it difficult to hear what everyone was saying. Despite this, I enjoyed myself and allowed the red wine to fill me with that warm glow perfect for ending the night.

My eyes continued to feast on the beauty and architecture of the DWB interior, and I was thankful that our friends had brought us to this beautiful wine bar. As I sat there sipping the last of my wine, I leaned over to the wife and told her we had to return some other time. The best part of sitting upstairs was being able to see all the food ordered by the patrons on the 1st floor below. I knew I wanted to come back to try out the food as it looked delicious and would probably pair well with our wine.

Major thanks to our friends G K and V-diddy for bringing us to the DWB. It was a wonderful end to a fun evening. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment