Friday, June 18, 2010

Big Buns

4401 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22203
(703) 276-3032
http://www.eatbigbuns.com/

Visited:
June 18, 2010




Antonio likes the Big Buns....

Wasn't "wowed" but I enjoyed my first visit to the double-B.

Came here with two of my former coworker buddies for lunch. I was excited after visiting the BB website and after reading a few of the Yelp reviews. As much as I wanted to get a burger, I wanted something light and opted for the mahi mahi as the dead animal of choice.

All of the toppings are quite impressive and I placed an order for mahi mahi on a bun with a friggin' mountain order of toppings. I think the main reason I went crazy with the toppings order was to see how they could pile on all that goodness on my sammich. It was also a great way for me to sample the various toppings. Here's the list of toppings I chose for my mahi mahi (not to be confused with my wife of a similar name) sandwich:

- Pickles
- Jalapenos
- Lettuce
- Tomatoes
- Grilled Onions
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Roasted Corn Salsa
- Mushrooms
- Chipotle Pesto Aioli

As I finished placing my order, I was truly tempted to buy a beer to go with my drink but instead opted for a small fountain soda. I also ordered a side of fries and the bill for the sammich, drink and fries came out to just over $12.

The layout of this BB location is very similar to the layout of a Chipotle with benches and chairs in the center and a line area leading straight to the register. We found table, and chatted away as we waited for a server to bring our food. For those of you thinking of going there, when you order your food "to eat in" you're given a number and must then find a seat where a server will bring out your food.

When the sandwich finally arrived (at bit of a wait due to the lunch rush), I was impressed at the size of the *ahem* Big Bun and all the toppings piled high on my mahi mahi. At first glance, the mahi mahi was represented by a four thin strips of fish and had a flimsy dry appearance. I didn't wait and grabbed my monster sized sandwhich and took a huge bite.

The mahi mahi wasn't impressive in flavor but all the toppings did save the sandwich. There was so much flavor coming from the grilled onions and roasted red peppers that the bland taste of fish almost didn't matter. I really enjoyed the toppings and did my best to best navigate my mouth around the puffy bread without making too much of a mess.

One of my friends ordered the chicken sandwich which looked juicy and much more impressive than my thin mahi mahi strips. I coveted her sandwich and knew that I definitely need to come back to try the chicken or hamburger sandwiches.

Luckily I wasn't completely turned off by the flavor / size of the mahi mahi and would love to return and give BB another try. Next time I'll bring the monkeys and the wife who is our resident sweet potato fry connoisseur.

No comments:

Post a Comment