Friday, April 3, 2009

Yogen Früz

1961 Chain Bridge Rd
McLean, VA 22102

http://www.yogenfruz.com

Visited: April 2, 2009



Ah, a frozen yogurt stand inside Tyson's Corner mall. The mall being that proverbial "Mecca" for all the local teenagers (myself included many years ago) to converge, chat, flirt and have a great time. What better place for a frozen yogurt stand with a trendy little "ü"?

My first impression of Yogen Früz with it's distinct use of the "ü", neat design and modern-minimalist appearance brought thoughts of a no-frills German efficiency. After standing in line for 15 minutes just waiting to place my order...that thought quickly went outta the window. Out of the four people staffed, one was working diligently, two of the "boys" were flirting with visiting girls and one girl appeared to be completely lost (she later confessed that it was her first day on the job).

The toppings looked great but the anticipation to just place my order was excruciating. My wife and twin boys waited across the way impatient for Fat Daddy to bring some frozen yogurt goodness back to their ravenous mouths. The good thing about such slow service was that it gave me ample time to review the "menu" and decide on a yogurt flavor and fruit mix-in.
What the freak is a mix-in? Well you can pick out any topping or fruit and thanks to the very modern looking mixing machine (which looks like some sort of futuristic laser torture device from an old Bond film), the yogurt and toppings are ground up, mixed and squeezed into a serving cup. I was able to discern the secret of the mixing machine from observing the people in front of me (who appeared to be Yogen Früz experts) as they ordered their yogurt and distinguished between toppings and mix-in choices.

I ordered a small chocolate yogurt with a banana mix-in which for the price (around $5) was a bit pricey for the small cup. The overall flavor of the chocolate yogurt was great as it wasn't overly sweet and based on the ingredients and fat level was safe to share with my twin boys (who proceeded to devour the entire cup).

The only thing I wasn't too crazy was that the high-tech mixing machine wasn't cleaned properly and there were very noticeable traces of raspberry flavor mixed into my chocolate yogurt. Some may have considered this a free treat, but I HATE raspberry. Despite the raspberry pollution of my chocolate goodness, the wife and I agree that we definitely would go back.

As mentioned before, we really enjoyed the fact that the yogurt wasn't over-sweetened with sugar/corn syrup and it has that great yogurt "tangy" flavor to it. We'll definitely go back, but this time we'll make sure to order a bigger size so the four of can our fill. Yüm yüm güd. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment