Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Silver Spoon

18530 Woodfield Rd
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
(301) 990-6868
www.eatatthesilverspoon.com


Visited: November 28, 2009


Whenever I heard the words "Silver Spoon" I immediately think of a very young Rick Schroder in the very popular 80's show of the same name. Imagine my surprise when years ago my good friends told me that we were going to a restaurant called Silver Spoon. Immediately I wondered if they had an arcade with long ago retired games like Galaga, Pac-man or Zaxxon or if there was a train that ran through the middle of the restaurant that patron could take a ride on. Zippy, none of that...no Ricky Shroder, no fabulous mansion, not even a single arcade game.

Walking into Silver Spoon I was greeted by a very simple layout with a modest number of tables. Although Silver Spoon is a restaurant, it doesn't appear to be a traditional restaurant as there is a counter where you order your food and then seat yourself. If you visit it for yourself, don't let the decor fool you; the food is legit and good.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Silver Spoon served some really tasty Indian/Pakistani fare which since that first visit has always left me satisfied. Every trip to Silver Spoon has ended with a full stomach and not too big of a dent in the wallet. The prices are very reasonable and the food is made fresh; a true value for the dollar. If you've never been to Silver Spoon just know that the wait time for food may be a bit longer than normal if you order off the menu, but know that whatever you order is made fresh as soon as you place your order.

So with all these positive notes, why the 3.5 star rating? Well let me tell you that my old friend Silver Spoon let me down a bit after my last visit....

On my last trip, I was a bit disappointed because the wife and our friends decided to be a bit adventurous by trying the buffet. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! The quality of the food was sub-par and I guess the reason I was really disappointed was due to the fact that in the past the food ordered off the menu is always well made. The buffet food seemed thrown together, not of the best quality and it really didn't represent the true potential of the Silver Spoon chefs. The only saving grace of the buffet was the Tandoori grilled chicken which was flavorful and juicy. The final nail in the coffin was the chocolate pudding. I love chocolate so I was traumatized by chocolate pudding that had a spoiled milk taste. Yeah, very very bad.... That in itself knocked two stars off Silver Spoon's rating...but my past experiences and great food really prevented me from dipping under 3.5 stars.

So what have we learned boys and girls? You MUST stay away from the buffet but definitely order off of the menu. Grab your friends, loved ones and pass your time waiting for your delicious food by sipping a mango lassi and having some great conversations....and laugh until the mango lassi comes outta your noses. :-)

Silver Spoon on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment