Saturday, January 2, 2010

Waterman's Beach Lobster Shack

343 Waterman Beach Road
South Thomaston, ME 04858
(207) 596-7819

Visited: July 2009



Rather than go into one of my loooooooooooooooooooooong rants about how good this place is, let me just tell you this:

Back in July 2009 I embarked on my first Lobster Crusade. I drove to Watermans Beach Lobster shack in South Thomaston, ME all the way from the Nation's Capital. That in itself should be an impressive feat, but combine that with a wife and two 15 month old twin boys...a simple foodie trip becomes a bit more of an adventure...a Lobster Crusade!!

On our way to Waterman's beach we passed many signs and restaurants displaying their daily lobster specials at incredible prices. As tempted as we were to stop and abandon our mission, we soldiered on to our original destination. Finally around lunchtime we headed down a dirt road and thankfully were able to see the small sign pointing us in the direction of Waterman's beach. We veered the mighty minivan to the left and saw another sign for Waterman's Beach Lobster shack. We entered the gravel parking lot, unpacked the monkey, a bottle of wine and make our way to the little shack.

Watermans Beach Lobster is a little shack situated on a stone covered beach with one of the most picturesque backdrops you can imagine. The weather was gorgeous and after a loooooong drive from Boston, we were ready for some lobster goodness. We quickly ordered two 2 lb lobsters and 2 lobster rolls. We also ordered some corn-on-the-cob for the two monkeys and planned on giving them some bites of our lobster or lobster rolls.

Fat Daddy Enjoying his Lobsters

Two Fresh 2 lb lobsters cooked to perfection

The food arrived and we were in heaven. I managed to snap up a few pictures of the lobster, my wife and the monkeys before diving into the lobster goodness. A few minutes later the lobster rolls arrived but lobster and butter soaked fingers prevented me from taking any pictures.

Before I forget, a few IMPORTANT tips:
--------------------------------------------------------

1) Cash Only! Bring cash as they do NOT accept credit cards at this fine establishment. When you see the place, I'm amazed they have any modern convinces as it's a cute little shack in the middle of the ME coastline.

2) Bring your vino! You're allowed to bring your own wine or beer provided you transport it unopened in your car. We chilled a bottle of white wine in our cooler to enjoy with our lobster. When you get there, ask for some cups for your wine or whatever poison you bring.

3) Ask ask ask!! If you want a big lobster, don't order off the menu. I made the mistake of thinking (based on the menu) that the largest lobster was 2 lbs, no so. After taking a quick tour of the lobster tanks I was saddened to see 4 to 5 lbs lobster swimming around in the tanks. Had I known, I would've ordered a 5 lb lobster and passed on the lobster roll....naw, I still would've eaten the lobster roll. :-)

You'll also notice as you order you lobster that there is a small award hanging to the side of the order-window. This little lobster shack, hidden away in this beautiful little ME coast has won a James Beard award! Although I was amazed, after woofing down the tasty lobster and lobster rolls I knew why.

The fine folks at Waterman's Beach Lobster shack are doing it right and do it with a smile. The staff are all friendly and loved showing us and the twin monkeys around their little shack. The friendly nature, delicious food and incredible backdrop combine to make this one of the precious treasures for seafoodie lovers everywhere.

I've already told the wife that this summer we'll have to plan a return trip where I'll take on a 4 or 5 lb lobster, and will win. Until then I can only dream of the deliciously fresh lobster and count down the days until we return to that hidden ME beach with the amazing lobster shack.

No comments:

Post a Comment