Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Dairy Godmother

2310 Mount Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22301
(703) 683-7767
www.thedairygodmother.com


Visited: November 8, 2009


If there was ever a time that I felt ANY sort of incestuous love for a family member...it would be for my Godmother, my Dairy Godmother. Oh how I love my Godmother. How my mind goes wild thinking...nay craving all the flavors that she has to offer. I can only think of one thing while I'm in her embrace; how soon until I can return. That return visit, and the many thereafter where I'll willingly let myself fall into the sweet temptation of her delicate dairy treats just. Yes, my Dairy Godmother is not that innocent pixie waving a wand, she is a temptress that is...deliciously naughty...

Hahahaha

The first time I learned about the Dairy Godmother (and learned to believe in magical beings) was coming back from a fulfilling lunch with fellow coworker Boris the Bullet. Hitting some traffic on Route 1, the Bullet used his savy know-how (and Blackberry GPS) to take us around the congestion which put us smack dab in the middle of the Del Ray neighborhood. Growing up in the Northern VA area, I hadn't seen Del Ray in years. The neighborhood had flourished and a once forgotten area had blossomed into a very cool/hip "Main Street" like neighborhood. As we drove down Mount Vernon Avenue, the Bullet pointed out many of the restaurants and shops that lined this main street, suddenly pointing with much enthusiasm towards The Dairy Godmother.

"Have you ever been to the Dairy Godmother?" asked the Bullet.

Still in awe and not thinking much of his question I calmly responded, "Nope, is it good?"

"Is it good?! IS IT GOOD?! It's REALLY GOOD! You MUST try it! They have the BEST frozen custard with unique flavors made every few days!!" he was obviously passionate about the Dairy Godmother and I made the following mental notes:

Frozen Custard = Yum.
Custom Flavors = Yum-yum
Boris the Bullet's boisterous recommendation + Frozen Custard + Custom Flavors = MUST VISIT!

A week later during a day off from work, I decided to bring the wife and two monkeys for a tour of the Del Ray area. We wanted to walk around the neighborhood as it was a nice summer day but I really had an ulterior motive; to try the Dairy Godmother's frozen custard and to try the flavor of the day. Before we left the house, I jumped on www.thedairygodmother.com and saw that today's flavor was Chocolate Eclair.

Chocolate Eclair?!?! Holy friggin bananas!! I love eclairs, I love ice cream....the thought of combining the two treats into a single dessert definitely enticed me. Thankfully the wife approved of the trip and we eagerly headed to the Del Ray area to enjoy the day. As we drove towards Del Ray, I confessed my motive for going to Del Ray and shared with my wife the idea and beauty of the daily Frozen custard flavor concept. I then shared with her that today's flavor of the day was Chocolate Eclair. Being a dessert lover too, I saw the spark of interest light up her eyes and she too was now under the Dairy Godmother's spell.

Arriving at Del Ray, luck smiled upon our little family as we found a parking space right in front of the Dairy Godmother. We popped out the twin monkeys, put them in their strollers and immediately entered the frozen dairy paradise eagerly surveying the area and all the tasty treats decorating the inside of the shop. Written in chalk the flavor of the day danced before our eyes, "Chocolate Eclair" and the anticipation of trying this flavor only made the queue move even slower.

Finally we were at the front of the line and I eagerly asked for two cups of Chocolate Eclair custard. I knew my eagerness and love for frozen dairy treats would not allow me to share with the wife and she being a dessert lover herself would have a hard time sharing a single serving. The two cups of chocolate eclair frozen custard was placed before me and I went into a trance. I don't remember handing over my money or sitting down at the table with two cups in hand, I only remember my first taste....and it was amazing.

There were pieces of delicate eclair pastry mixed into a creamy frozen custard with sprinkles of dark chocolate that actually tasted like a frozen version of the most wonderful chocolate eclair. I looked across the table at my wife and I could see satisfaction on her face as she closed her eyes and merely responded with a "Ummmm...so good". From that moment on we were bewitched and under the spell of the Dairy Godmother.

We've gone back many times and each time I can't help but be amazed at the creativity of making such wonderful frozen custard flavors. Our most recent trip surprised me yet again by trying the Cannoli frozen custard flavor. The frozen custard itself tasted like the creamy Ricotta filling of the best tasting Cannoli. The frozen custard then had small pieces of dark chocolate chips mixed in along with crunchy bits of Cannoli pastry. To eat this frozen custard flavor was to enjoy a traditional Cannoli, deconstructed and re-created in a decadent dairy dessert.

I have become a fan that I often find myself acting like a voyeur by secretly visiting my Godmother's Twitter page to read her latest "Tweets" and to get a glimpse of any new flavor ideas or thoughts that she may have. I sing her praises, I'm in love and yes I think about her all the time. My Dairy Godmother will entice and amaze you with her flavors. Be warned that you too will fall to her charms and will be part of her willing army singing her dairy praises and spreading the gospel that is her frozen custard creations.

Dairy Godmother on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment